Pages - Menu

Monday, November 30, 2020

~ Vintage: 13th Anniversary Edition ~

 

Author: Steve Berman
Title: Vintage (13th Anniversary Edition)
Pages: 212
Release date: 2020 November 25
Original Release date: 2007
Add it on Goodreads
Buy it on Amazon
Rating: ★★★★★


Blurb: 

On a chilly, autumn night, on a lonely New Jersey highway, a teenager meets the boy of his dreams dressed in vintage clothing. When the boy vanishes, the teenager discovers he’s encountered the local legend, the ghost of a young man who died four decades earlier and has haunted that stretch of road ever since. Curious and smitten, the next evening the teen returns with his best friend. So begins an unusual story of boy-meets-ghost complete with Ouija boards, hours spent in cemeteries, scares and macabre humor. This new edition of the book, to celebrate its thirteenth anniversary, features a new introduction by New York Times best-selling author Holly Black.


My review: 

I was in a need of a good ghost story, so I was more than happy when the author contacted me with the opportunity to read this Anniversary Edition, and now I'm so happy that I said yes, because this book was everything I didn't no I needed and more!

The biggest slap to my face was when I read the end note - that was when I recognized that I didn't know the name of the main character of the story! How! How could I read the book without recognizing that the author held us in the dark and didn't told us the name of the MC! Mind blowing thing. 

The story is from this boy's POV and I really liked reading it. The story is set in 1997 and I loved reading it - no internet, no mobile phones, you have to go to the library to know things, you have phone only at home and you're walking to everywhere. 

First love while afraid of beeing gay. The MC has left his home because his parents kicked him out and now live with his aunt, but isn't out to her. He is in a NEED of love, and when he see a ghost who takes interest in him, he is lost and thinks it's love. 

Loved the ghost part of the story, it was really interesting. At first I thought Josh was a good ghost and that this love story will be great. Then I changed my mind when I met second Mike. I hoped that the story will change and the boy will fall in love with the right boy. 

It was so cute, exactly how a first love looks like. Being 17 and falling for a ghost who died decades ago, than recognize that the best friend's brother is more available and more cute than said ghost. Loved how cute Mike (15) was, their first kiss was everything and more. I loved how they fallen in love, it was so pure.

The mistery was good, giving peace to first Mike and to Josh too. That little girl was a bit disturbing at the end and I hoped that the truth will come out... 
First Mike's death was so lame, but I was happy that they found him (it was really disgusting, I think I'll throw up in this kind of situation, I mean come on, you digging out your own brother's bones...)

The ending was exciting and it held my attention, I wanted it to end happily and was afraid of other endings. Josh's scene was both hurtful and good. I still don't know how he had found peace. I was angry with that ending at the moment, because I wanted to know the truth... but after I thought through it, I get it. It was a drunk driver and nothing else. 

I really loved reading this book, it was well written, interesting and exciting too. I'm still angry that I don't know the name of the MC, but I will get over it...

Thank you for this book. I need more like this.



No comments:

Post a Comment