Pages - Menu

Monday, March 22, 2021

~ The One That Got Away by Nicky James ~

 

Author: Nicky James
Title: The One That Got Away
Release date: 2021 March 22
Pages: 344
Add it on Goodreads
Buy it on Amazon
Rating: ★★★★★


Blurb: 

Someone is following me. I’m not imagining it. I’m not crazy.

Charlie Falkingham is convinced someone is after him. There are signs. There are clues, but no one believes him. After living through a childhood horror, Charlie suffers from a severe paranoia disorder, among many things, and the Hamilton Police have labeled him The Boy Who Cried Wolf.

When the only person on the force who ever listened to Charlie’s concerns retires, who can Charlie reach out to for help?

Arrogant and young, Officer Takoda Dyani has a chip on his shoulder a mile wide. He’s rude and brash and doesn’t play well with others. He has more enemies than friends, and he doesn’t care. When his senior officer assigns him to be Charlie’s consultant, Takoda knows it will end badly. He doesn’t have time to coddle a prissy rich boy.

However, if he can’t calm Charlie’s paranoid delusions and act civil for once, he’ll lose his job.

But are they delusions?

The longer he knows Charlie, the more Takoda realizes, something isn’t right.

Is someone stalking Charlie, or is Takoda getting too wrapped up in Charlie’s fragile world?

**The One That Got Away is an MM psychological romantic suspense. Triggers for severe anxiety and panic disorder, OCD, dissociative episodes, PTSD. The plot line includes a reference to a past child kidnapping and sex trafficking incident. The details of the sex trafficking are NOT discussed in any detail.**


My review: 


One thing I don't know is why Nicky told us that we wouldn't like Takoda and she's sorry in advance?! 
Why, I loved Takoda! ;)

And other thing for sure, if there's one thing I don't like but Nicky James writes about it, I'll read it and would love it! How it is possible? I'm not one for supsense, but I just couldn't put this book down and loved every page of it. Sometimes I skip scenes/lines/pages, but not when it's written by Nicky James, becasue every damn word is important and I don't want to miss a damn thing!

The storyline and the characters were perfect, I loved how both Takoda and Charlie changed, and how perfect they were for each other.

Charlie's character was so well written and his past was handled so good. I loved how Charlie communicated with everyone and how funny he was, especially when he corrected Takoda's words. It was hilarious. 
Takoda was a little shit and I really loved how he grew up in front of our eyes and fell in love with Charlie. The best thing about Takoda was that he hasn't handled Charlie with kid gloves and told him everything without filter. 

Charlie's PTSD and OCD was so perfectly portrayed, but it's not a new thing, everything Nicky touches is beautifully and carefully depicted.

Toward the end I was at the edge of my seat and I almost broke my kindle I squeezed it so hard while concentrating on the story and praying for a HEA.

And the romance, ahh, so sweet! Loved Takoda and Charlie together, they were just too adorable for words.

LOVED the book so much, HIGHLY RECOMMEND IT.


No comments:

Post a Comment