Pages - Menu

Sunday, October 11, 2020

~ Bully King ~

 

Author: Andi Jaxon
Title: Bully King
Release date: 2020 October 15
Pages: 345
Add it on Goodreads
Buy it on Amazon
Rating: ★★★☆☆ (3,5)


Blurb: 

I'm the pastor's son.
He's the star quarterback for a small Kentucky high school.
While the town worships him, I pray for God to take my life.
He makes my life a living hell by making me his victim.
This perverse game we play could end us both.
How can something that feels so right be so wrong?
The price if the truth is discovered is death, but I can't stop.
Neither can he.
No one can know.
Can I risk it?
Is Roman King worth dying for?

*This story is an m/m bully romance including dubious consent, assault, talk of suicide and is intended for readers 18+. Please proceed with caution.*


My review: 

I really don't know what to say because in some way I liked this story, but in others it was really wrong. 

"He isn't just a 'king' because of his last name."

I love a good bully romance and I'm not the one who say no to noncon and for darker themes, but this story was just a bit of both words. My biggest concern is, that it wasn't bullying in some scenes, it was pure rape, and I don't care that at the end Jonah liked it and craved it, Roman was a bad character. 

And we're talking about 17 year old high schoolers. 

"I hate what he makes me feel. If only it didn't feel so damn good."

The bully scenes were well written, and I really hurt for Jonah. If this how life is in some high schools in the US, then I'm more than happy to live here where this story is only a happens in books. I mean, how on earth can this happen, where are the teachers to stop all these?! 

"One of these days, he will take my virginity, whether I give it to him or he takes it by force." 

And this quote is just sums up this book and tells why I'm concerned about rape, because Roman didn't care. He was blind, and we could see how bad a person he is- when the news got out about his best friend! That scene was horrible. I almost DNF'd the book, I just wanted to throw up and forget this book. 

"How can I be involved with someone I can't trust to protect me when the time comes?" 

Jonah was a great character, but he was so innocent and silly. You'd think he's a clever person and live a bit careful because he's gay while he's father is the pastor. 
But on the other hand he was a loveable person and I loved what he did with Roman's best friend. (gawd, that scene!!!!!) 

"Before him, I told myself I would never put up with abuse. I would never fall into one of the toxic relationships you read about or see on TV, yet here I am."

There were times when Roman was sweet with Jonah, and when he was cruel with him he was sweet too. He just had to find his center. Roman is a complex character, but mostly cruel and bad, I hurt for him because of his father. You'd think Roman is a better person because of his background with his father... but not so much. 

"Am I going to die for loving Roman?"

Final verdict: It was enjoyable read, and while there were times I wanted to throw the book away and forget it exist, it was good in some ways. I still think it was more, much more then bullying. This book definitely isn't for everyone, the bully theme is really HIGH! And I think it's not a romance. Not in a million years. 



No comments:

Post a Comment