Pages - Menu

Tuesday, May 04, 2021

~ Spoiling the Machine by Daniel May ~

 

Author: Daniel May
Title: Spoiling the Machine
Release date: 2021 April 18
Pages: 250
Add it on Goodreads
Buy it on Amazon
Rating: ★★★★★


Blurb: 

Death has taken everything he ever loved. Now he has the chance to get something back.

Ezekiel 'Kel' Warbis is a private investigator who works and lives alone, shattered from the deaths of his childhood sweethearts and best friends. Tomas and Emily died respectively from a tragic accident and by suicide, leaving Kel to wander through life functional but aimless, trying to live up to their expectations for him.

Kel is shaken from his numb reverie when a handful of noisy teenagers get his number; their friend is missing, and the similarities between his loss and their fears are unmistakable. Guilt compels him to take the case. By the time it becomes dangerous, it's too late for Kel to turn back; he's discovered that somewhere in this web of the ominous and the supernatural lies the truth about what really happened to the people he loved.

He comes to realize that his loved ones might not be gone forever... but that might not be a good thing.

My review: 


I finished the book a week ago but I still can't wrap my head around this story. It was mind blowing! MMF isn't really my thing, but I gave it a try, and I'm happy that I read it. It's not a romance story, so don't expect exclipit sexy scenes - that's why the MMF setting wasn't bothering me. There weren't strictly MM or MMF scene, there was one MF, but it was well written and quick, and tasteful. 

The main setting is paranormal and suspense, and I really enjoyed it. The mystery around Death was really good and those things with the others, that they couldn't die no matter what you did to them. It was fascinating. The investigation was good, I enjoyed everything about the book. 

The story is told from Kel's POV and how he lost his two best friends (and love interests). First Tomas then Emily. Tomas was a mystery for me and I just knew it from the start that he couldn't be dead. Emily wasn't bothering me, I couldn't care less that she's dead or not. 

It was really well written and it held my interest all the time. I read it in one go, I just couldn't put it down, and I wanted to know how it will end. But it's still not really clear for me. The ending is really mind blowing, and I think I need to re-read it to find the deepest meanings of it, but no matter what, it was a really good book. 

Something different from the author, but the writing style and story telling is still the same. Amazing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment