Pages - Menu

Wednesday, September 08, 2021

~ Not What It Seems by Nicky James ~

 

Author: Nicky James
Title: Not What It Seems
Pages: 314
Release date: 2021 September 6
Add it on Goodreads
Buy it on Amazon
Rating: ★★★★★


Blurb: 


They say I killed them. They say I’m sick. They’re wrong. Nothing is as it seems.

Renowned psychiatrist Dr. Cyrus Irvine takes his job and his life very seriously. He is well-respected in his field and has worked hard to get where he is.

But he’s lonely.

When called in to do a mental health evaluation on a murder suspect, the last thing he expects to find is the man he slept with a few months ago. The man who ghosted him and wounded his fragile heart. Ethically, he should turn around and walk away, but he doesn’t. For as much as Cyrus understands the human brain, he can’t understand the pull he feels to the patient.

One session with River Jenkins and Cyrus is sure of three facts:
One, River and everything about his preliminary diagnosis is a lie.
Two, his feelings toward River haven’t gone away.
And three, despite his professional code, he isn’t going anywhere.

Someone needs to get to the bottom of this.

Cyrus’s world is turned upside down as he and River team up to find the truth. During their quest for answers, Cyrus discovers, the hardest part of his decision isn’t the risk to his career, it’s the risk to his heart.

My review:


I think I've found a new genre I love - or is it just because of Nicky? Anyhow (hehe), give me more romantic suspense becuase it's just so nail bitingly awesome! (shh, I'm not biting my nails...)

This book was just as perfect as I thouht it would be. Doctor patient?! Come on! Best thing after a student/teacher, and as we can see, Nicky can write both amazingly.

The emotional and deep scenes, the suspense, being kept in the dark the whole way - wow. And the characters. Both Cyrus (aww poor baby, I just want to hug him) and River (oh you dirty boy). Loved them. They were perfect separately and together too. Both were intriguing and their connection and relationship was so good. I couldn't see how their relationship would end and I was afraid at the beginning, my brain was playing games with me, I should have known that Nicky will give me a perfect love story and I don't have to fear a one bit. I really thought it will be instalove, but no. It was perfectly paced and emotional. 

And and and oh god, Cyrus's foot fetish was just so perfect. It blew my mind how well written it was. I need to see more kink from Nicky because if she can write foot fetish this awesome...my mind and heart just won't be capable of handling more LOL but I NEEEEEEED.

Cyrus was the best in this story, his personality was so well written and I just loved everything about him. Sometimes shy, sometimes not. Funny and needy in bed, and I just loved how he was speaking with River. And how fragile he was. Have I mentioned that I want to hug him?

Oh and the suspense! It was awesome! All new details, all the investigation, the fear of being caught but still going after the killer. Perfect. And the ending just so sweet. 

Loved this book. HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

Graphic from the author


No comments:

Post a Comment